Let’s talk about snacking because I think we all know that 3 meals a day ain’t enough. I am a serial snacker. I get hungry every 2-4 hours no matter what. I could eat an entire pizza and I still couldn’t go longer than a few hours without eating something else. Mitch on the other hand, will eat a burrito for breakfast and be set until dinner. Like a full 8 hours until he eats again – WTF?! My point is, everyone is different and that’s why we all need to listen to our bodies and adapt to what they need. So in my case, I will eat half the burrito because I know it will fill me up and even if I ate it all I know I will still be hungry in a couple hours.
With that being said, my daily routine usually consists of 3 lighter meals – breakfast, lunch and dinner – and 2-3 snacks. Breakfast varies between smoothies and eggs, and lunch and dinner are usually lots of veggie, lean protein and some type of grain. Now that the background info is out of the way, it’s time to break down snack time and list off my favs!
The Snack Matrix: I try to stick with whole foods with ONE ingredient for at least 1-2 of my daily snacks. Yes, I understand that’s pretty difficult especially for all of us that are on the go, but I promise you it’s the best route. Sticking with primarily fruits and veggies fills you up with the least amount of calories, unhealthy fats, sodium, and other unnecessary ingredients that are found in more convenient snacks. Nuts and nut butter are great, but watch your portion size!! Just one tablespoon of peanut butter OR 15 almonds are 100 calories each.
My Favorite Whole Food Snacks:
- Apples (I eat one every day between lunch and dinner)
- Any Fruit! Mixed fresh berries, bananas, pears, nectarines, peaches, etc. Fresh berries topped with The Coconut Cult Mango Cream is one of my all time favorite snacks and even dessert! Buy online or use their store locator. It’s pricey, but its because it is packed with high quality probiotics. That being said, don’t overdo it!
- Hard Boiled Eggs. The perfect snack for between breakfast and lunch, especially after a hard morning workout! Loaded with protein and super filling. Throw some everything but the bagel seasoning on top and just like that you have a new favorite snack.
- Celery and 1 tbsp Nut Butter. Classic, and it never gets old. Celery is packed with nutrients and goes great with that RX nut butter packet you have stored in your desk drawer…
- Carrots Dipped in 1/2 Mashed Avocado + Red Chili Flakes. Another great FILLING snack that is just 3 ingredients. Carrots. Avo. Chili Flakes. Carrots and hummus is a popular snack, but hummus is often made with preservatives and other ingredients that can be harmful to your health. Chickpeas are also the culprit of a lot of digestive issues in some people. Try this alternative and see how you feel!
- Raw Nuts – almonds, cashews, pistachios. Again, be careful with the nuts. They are a good snack, but its easy to get carried away.
My second option if one ingredient foods aren’t available or convenient: This is where the more convenient snacks come into play. The type of snacks you leave in your drawer at work for those days where the thought of eating 10 almonds and an apple makes you want to cry. It’s ok, it happens. Here are my favorite tasty, healthy snacks that are perfect for stashing in your purse.
My Favorite On the Go Snacks:
- Beef Jerky. My #1, always. I’m a savory person so a lot of times a chocolate protein bar just doesn’t satisfy me and if we are being honest here, I rarely find the time to hard boil eggs. Plus, jerky is a great source of protein and its low sugar. Look for nitrate free, grass fed beef with clean ingredients and low sugar. I love Country Archer bars! They taste SO good and are just 140 calories (120 for the turkey) and 20 grams of protein! I’m always stocked in my snack drawer at the office. Their jerky is great too. Everything about them is great. It’s quite the love affair.
- Walnut Brownie Protein Balls. My FAVORITE snack recipe. Since it tastes JUST like a half baked walnut brownie and is packed with protein, its sure to curb your sugar craving while curing your hunger pains.
- Cookie Dough Protein Balls. Second fav ball recipe 😉
- RX Bars and Nut Butters. More products that you will 1000% find if you raid my desk. I buy their kids bars because they honestly taste better to me and are less calories (130 vs 200). Their nut butters are also AMAZING. Vanilla almond is insane. Ingredients are always clean!
- Simple Mills Fine Ground Sea Salt Almond Flour Crackers. There’s something about these crackers… I love them plain, dipped in Bitchin’ Sauce, blended up as bread crumbs, you name it. The ingredients are clean (of course) and they are gluten free! I buy them on Amazon, Thrive Market, or Costco!
- Apres Vegan Protein Shake. I just discovered these shakes and I’m obsessed! I’ve NEVER been a fan of protein shakes, but these are definitely different! They are packed with amazing ingredients, are SUPER filling, and taste like chocolate milk. YUM! They are the perfect post workout pick me up. Use my code “brocc25” for 25% off! Vanilla and Sea Salt Chocolate are my favorites.
- Further Food Turmeric Tonic + Collagen Peptides. Ok, I HATE when people suggest tea or water as a “snack” because that just isn’t an effing snack. This, however, is different and it’s a great option for late night or mid morning hunger. The savory spices in the Turmeric Tonic mixed with warm almond milk are comforting and filling, while the collagen peptides dissolve without a taste and pack in some protein. Obviously if you just finished an hour long Soul Cycle class and you are famished this is NOT the snack for you, but on days where I’m not as active and I know I really shouldn’t be hungry (but I am) this is my go to! Use my code “brocc” for a discount for any Further Food products!
To be entirely honest, when the weekend hits at least 1 of my meals is just a bunch of snacks. And don’t get me wrong here, I’m not snacking on mixed berries or hard boiled eggs on Saturday night, but I do LOVE my healthy alternatives to all those unhealthy snacks we all know and love. Here are my favorite “unhealthy made healthy” snacks. They are all trick your boyfriend approved, promise.
“Fake It Til You Make It” Snacks:
- Siete Foods Tortilla Chips. I prefer these over regular tortilla chips 10/10 times. They just taste better PLUS they are made with…. you guessed it. CLEAN INGREDIENTS! They are guac’s BFF. Find them at Whole Foods, Sprouts, Amazon or Thrive Market! My favorite flavor is lime!
- Simple Mills Farmhouse Cheddar Almond Flour Crackers. Basically healthy cheese its. Buy them at Whole Foods, Amazon or Thrive Market!
- Cali’flour Foods Pizza Crust. This might not sound like a snack but when you just bake these things plain they taste like cheesy bread. Plus they are only 180 calories for an ENTIRE crust, so you can eat a whole one or throw on some toppings and split it with a friend for a heartier snack! My code for a discount is “broccyourbody.”
- Hu Kitchen or Eating Evolved Chocolate. Paleo dark chocolate with none of the icky stuff like sugar alcohols, cane sugar, emulsifiers, and it’s vegan and gluten free! The ingredients list is short and readable, which I love if you couldn’t tell by now. Hu Kitchen’s new “hunks” are slowly becoming my all time favorite treat. Buy these at Whole Foods, Amazon or Thrive Market.
- Justin’s, Trader Joe’s, or Homemade Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups. Because candy bars are FILLED with inflammatory ingredients. For homemade without the pumpkin, ditch the pumpkin puree and use a little less coconut flour.
- Skinny Dipped Almonds. I love these for a sweet treat with some added protein. Skinny dipped almonds don’t go crazy with the chocolate coating (hence “skinny dipped”) so they are the perfect healthy dessert or snack and honestly, they taste the same as the other guys if not better. Plus all of their different flavors are amazing (mainly the Peanut Butter though – SO GOOD)! Get them online or at Target!
- Smart Sweets. My latest movie snack obsession: Plant Based Candy. Smart Sweets are LOADED with fiber, don’t have any sugar alcohol or artificial ingredients, and they are just 90 calories a bag. Think guilt free sour patch, Swedish fish and gummy bears…. MY DREAM COME TRUE! Use code “brocc” for free shipping on your online order or check their store locator! Your local Whole Foods should carry it.
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookie Bars or any of my Healthy Desserts! I just don’t post things that don’t taste GREAT. End of story. Check out the dessert section of my blog for some yummy inspo!
Hope this helped answer all of your questions! Happy Snacking!
“Snacks” pouch is customized from Stoney Clover Lane.