Starting off soup season with a real winner: Healthy Zuppa Toscana 🥰 A MUCH healthier version of our favorite creamy soup from Olive Garden.
Healthy Zuppa Toscana
Servings 6 servings
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb Italian sausage casing removed or ground turkey
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tbsp flour I used GF all purpose
- 4 small red potatoes cut into small chunks (about 3 cups once chopped)
- 1 cup kale stems removed and torn into small pieces
- 32 oz chicken broth
- 1/2 cup oat milk
- 2 tbsp parmesan cheese +more to serve
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp red chili flakes
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 lemon juiced
Heat your pot over medium heat. Add olive oil then your onions and garlic. Season with the Italian seasoning, chili flakes and a generous pinch of kosher salt and pepper.
Cook for about 5 minutes then add in your sausage or turkey. Break it up as it browns with a wooden spoon.
Once the meat is browned, sprinkle in the flour and combine.
Add in potatoes and kale and stir to combine.
Pour in the chicken broth, milk and parmesan cheese. Bring to a boil, cover and turn heat to low. Cook for about 15 minutes or until potatoes are soft.
Add in lemon juice and season to taste. Serve with parmesan cheese on top.