Quite possibly one of the best recipes I’ve ever made and it’s all because my Broccolini’s flooded my DMs with requests for this BUTTERNUT SQUASH MAC & CHEESE Trader Joe’s remake! 🤤 1000% secured on the 2020 Thanksgiving menu. You absolutely MUST make this. Def adding bacon next time too!
Butternut Squash Mac & Cheese
- 3 cups cooked pasta I used rigatoni
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp all purpose flour GF works
- 3/4 cup milk I used almond
- 1/2 tsp fresh sage minced
- 1/2 tsp fresh thyme minced
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup butternut squash purée I made my own by blending roasted butternut squash or you can use canned
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese I used Trader Joe's unexpected cheddar
- 1/2 cup shredded Gouda you can sub with just more cheddar if you’d like
- 1 tbsp grated Parmesan + more to top
Cook pasta according to package. Tips: generously salt your pasta water and do NOT rinse your pasta.
In a saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter down then add the flour and whisk to combine.
Add the milk, continuing to whisk, until combined and brought to a simmer. Add your fresh herbs and spices.
Whisk in your butternut squash purée and cheese until melted and whisked smooth.
Remove the pan from heat and mix in cooked pasta. Season to taste and serve with parmesan cheese!
*For a thinner sauce, add more milk. For a thicker sauce, add more cheese.