I was so excited to try the Unexpected Broccoli Cheddar Soup from Trader Joe’s but the ingredients did NOT pass the vibe check. As the OG broccolinis know from last fall, I put my blood sweat and tears into perfecting this recipe, and now we get to make it even better by using unexpected cheddar 😋 If you don’t live near a TJ’s, not to worry! Regular cheddar works just fine.
Broccoli Cheddar Soup
TIME: 30 minutes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 white onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 large celery stalk, chopped
- 3 small golden potatoes (about 3 cups), peeled and chopped
- 12 oz broccoli florets, stems removed
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cups milk, I used almond
- 1 cup unexpected cheddar cheese
- 1 tbsp yellow mustard
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp salt & pepper + more to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large soup pot over medium heat.
- Add in the onion, garlic, celery, and carrots. Stir occasionally for about 5 minutes or until the onion becomes translucent. Stir in the mustard until combined.
- Add in the broccoli, potatoes and seasonings.
- Add the veggie broth and milk and bring to a boil. Cover and let simmer for about 15 minutes or until potatoes are soft.
- IN SMALL BATCHES, add the soup to a blender to blend or use an immersion blender. Just pulse it as you don’t want it completely blended. For more texture, remove a cup or two before blending then add it back in. Add more broth if it’s too thick.
- Stir in the cheese and season to taste.