Stuffing is one of those things I used to despise and now I’M OBSESSED!!! This is hands down the best stuffing I’ve ever tasted and I’m so proud that I made it. It was surprisingly easier than I thought because I kept it pretty simple but the fresh herbs and sausage really gives it TONS of great flavors. This. Must. Be. On. Your. Thanksgiving. Table.
Gluten Free Stuffing
SERVES: 10 servings
- 1 stick unsalted butter or ghee
- 1 pound stale Gluten Free bread torn into pieces
- 1 pound sausage (any works but I used pork breakfast sausage) *optional
- 1 green apple chopped
- 2 medium yellow onions chopped
- 3 large celery stalks chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
- 2 tbsp fresh sage chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme chopped
- 2 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth *veggie broth for vegetarian version
- 2 large eggs
- salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Lay out the bread evenly on a baking sheet without overlapping. Bake for 1 hour until the bread is completely dried out.
- While the bread bakes, cook the sausage, prep your veggies and chop your herbs!
- In a large skillet, brown the sausage over medium heat until it’s just cooked through. Set aside.
- Add the butter to the same skillet and increase to medium high heat. Add the onions and celery and sauté until veggies begin to brown.
- Add the bread, cooked sausage, veggies, herbs and chopped apple to a large bowl (you may need to separate it into two bowls – there’s a lot!). Season with 1 tsp salt and pepper. Add in 1 1/4 cups broth and stir to coat.
- Increase the heat of the oven to 350 degrees. Whisk 1 1/4 cups broth and eggs together in a bowl. Add to the stuffing and gently stir to combine.
- Transfer the stuffing to a large baking dish and cover with foil. Bake for 45 minutes.
- If you’re making this the day before, let the stuffing cool and refrigerate and repeat the next step the following day. Otherwise, remove the foil and bake until browned and crispy for another 45 minutes (increase time by 15 minutes if the stuffing was refrigerated).