Welcome to Episode 1 of my new series: Speedy Soups! These are delicious, nutritious soups that can you make in 30 minutes or less. As you may know, I LOVE soup! I have a whole chapter in my upcoming cookbook dedicated to them. I find soups so comforting to make, plus there’s always leftovers that taste even better the next day. I’m so excited about this series and can’t wait to bring you even more amazing soup recipes with your busy schedule in mind!
Creamy Italian Sausage and Orzo Soup
Creamy Italian Sausage & Orzo Soup
PREP TIME: 5 minutes
COOK TIME: 25 minutes
TIME: 30 minutes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb Italian sausage, casing removed
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp all purpose flour, optional to thicken
- 1 14 oz can San Marzano tomatoes
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup uncooked orzo
- 1 cup kale, stems removed
- Juice from 1 large lemon, plus more to taste
- 1/4 cup heavy cream, coconut cream works too
- Parmesan cheese to finish, optional
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large dutch oven or soup pot over medium heat. Add the sausage and break up with a meat masher or wooden spoon until browned. Remove and set aside.
- Add another tablespoon of oil to the pan then add the onion, carrots, celery, and garlic to the pan, stirring occasionally for about 5 minutes. Season with salt, Italian seasoning and pepper. Sprinkle in the flour and stir to combine. Add the tomatoes and crush them with the back of a wooden spoon (you can also do this with your hands before adding).
- Add the chicken broth and sausage back in and bring to a boil. Add the orzo, cover and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring once or twice to ensure the orzo doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pot.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the kale, lemon juice and heavy cream. Season to taste and serve with parmesan cheese it desired.