Starting off soup season with a real winner: Healthy Zuppa Toscana 🥰 A MUCH healthier version of our favorite creamy soup from Olive Garden.
Healthy Zuppa Toscana
SERVES: 6 servings
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb Italian sausage casing removed or ground turkey
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tbsp flour I used GF all purpose
- 4 small red potatoes cut into small chunks (about 3 cups once chopped)
- 1 cup kale stems removed and torn into small pieces
- 32 oz chicken broth
- 1/2 cup oat milk
- 2 tbsp parmesan cheese +more to serve
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp red chili flakes
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 lemon juiced
- Heat your pot over medium heat. Add olive oil then your onions and garlic. Season with the Italian seasoning, chili flakes and a generous pinch of kosher salt and pepper.
- Cook for about 5 minutes then add in your sausage or turkey. Break it up as it browns with a wooden spoon.
- Once the meat is browned, sprinkle in the flour and combine.
- Add in potatoes and kale and stir to combine.
- Pour in the chicken broth, milk and parmesan cheese. Bring to a boil, cover and turn heat to low. Cook for about 15 minutes or until potatoes are soft.
- Add in lemon juice and season to taste. Serve with parmesan cheese on top.