Ok, this Butternut Squash Soup is always such a hit. I posted this recipe a couple years back and decided to tweak it a bit and redo the photo for my blog since this recipe is going on my Thanksgiving Menu! It’s so delicious and perfect for making a day ahead of time then just heating up when you’re ready to serve your guests. It’s also great for freezing! Makes a great lunch with a grilled cheese. YUM!
Butternut Squash Soup
SERVES: 6 servings
- 1 white onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cups peeled and chopped butternut squash
- 2 cups peeled and chopped sweet potatoes
- 1 peeled and chopped carrot
- 4 cups veggie broth
- 1/2 can of coconut milk
- 1 bunch of fresh sage + more to top
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp red chili flakes
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Goat cheese to top optional
- In a large soup pot on medium heat, saute onion and garlic in olive oil.
- Once the onion becomes translucent (5ish minutes) add in butternut squash, sweet potato, carrot, and seasonings. Sauté for a few more minutes then add in veggie broth and bring to a boil.
- Turn heat to low, add in a bunch of fresh sage on top, and cover. Let simmer for about 30 minutes or until veggies are soft.
- Remove the sage leaves then pour everything into a blender or use an immersion blender and blend until smooth.
- Stir in coconut milk to make it creamy and top with red chili flakes, fresh sage and goat cheese. Feel free to add more broth if you like your soup less thick.