The most delicious and decadent potatoes I’ve ever had. These are seriously insane and make the perfect side dish for your holiday dinner. You really can’t go wrong with potatoes, cream and cheese. YUM!
Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes
SERVES: 6 servings
- 1 head garlic
- 1-2 tsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme
- 2 lbs yukon gold potatoes I used 5 potatoes for reference, sliced veryyy thin like 1/8 in thick, preferably with a mandolin
- 2/3 cup shredded gruyere cheese
- 1/3-1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut the top off a head of garlic and drizzle with olive oil. Cover in foil and bake for 30-40 minutes. To quicken the process, you can just mince 4 cloves of garlic but roasting it makes the potatoes way more flavorful!
- Heat skillet over medium heat and add butter to melt. Add the the roasted garlic, heavy cream, thyme, salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer for about 10 minutes. Set the cream mixture aside in something you can easily pour from, like a Pyrex measuring cup with a spout thing.
- Add potatoes a small baking dish in a thin layer and season with salt & pepper. Pour just enough cream to cover the potatoes and add a light sprinkle of both cheeses. Repeat the process until you’re out of potatoes and you reach the top of the baking dish. You might have some leftover cream it’s all good just add it to your smoothie in the morning.
- Cover with foil and bake at 300 for 35 minutes, then remove the foil and increase the heat to 400 and bake for 15-20 minutes or until the top is browned and the potatoes are soft when you puncture with a fork. Makes about 6 servings!